OneDrive for Business: Frequently Asked Questions for Windows Users
What is OneDrive for Business?
How to install OneDrive for Business client?
How to configure OneDrive for Business?
How to access your OneDrive for Business files via a web browser?
My Microsoft Office icons (including OneDrive icon) are missing from the Start Menu, how can I fix it?
My files are not syncing, how can I fix it?
Where can I learn more about OneDrive for Business?
Q: What is OneDrive for Business?
A: OneDrive for Business is a storage service offered as part of Fermilab’s Office 365 subscription that lets you store and share your work files in the cloud. You can use OneDrive for Business to store your work files in the cloud and access those files from Windows and Mac computers as well as mobile devices.
Q: How to install OneDrive for Business client?
1. Click the Windows icon in the bottom left of the Taskbar.
2. Type "Software Center" in the search box.
3. Click Software Center at the top of the list.
4. OneDrive for Business will be listed under Applications in the top left.
5. Click on OneDrive for Business and click Install.
6. When the installation is complete, the status will be changed to "Installed".
8. Click X at the the top right to close Software Center.
Q: How to configure OneDrive for Business?
1. Double-click the OneDrive icon on your desktop or in your taskbar.
2. Click Sign in.
3. Enter email@example.com and press Tab.
4. Type your SERVICES account username and password and click Sign in.
5. You will see the following screen which tells you the location of the folder to sync your files.
(a) The folder that OneDrive for Business uses to sync files is located at: C:\Users\yourusername\OneDrive - Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory.
(b) This is the only folder on your PC that will sync.
(c) We recommend that you do not select a different folder.
(d) Only files placed in this folder will automatically sync via OneDrive.
6. Click Next.
7. Click Open my OneDrive - Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory folder.
8. Click through the Welcome Tutorial.
9. A window will open showing you the folder you will use to sync files. OneDrive for Business is now ready for use.
Q: How to access your OneDrive for Business files via a web browser?
1. Launch Internet Explorer.
2. Navigate to https://fermicloud.sharepoint.com (We recommend that you bookmark this URL for future reference).
3. Type [USERNAME]@services.fnal.gov and click Next.
4. If you are prompted to select an account, select Work Account.
5. Type your SERVICES account password and click Sign in.
6. Select your firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Type your SERVICES account username and password and click Sign In.
8. Click the Menu icon in the top left next to Office 365 and select OneDrive.
9. You will now be able to access your synced files in the cloud.
Q: My Microsoft Office icons (including OneDrive icon) are missing from the Start Menu, how can I fix it?
1. Click the Start button and type "Add or Remove Programs" in the search box, and press Enter.
2. Scroll down until you see Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus.
3. Right-click on Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus and click Change.
4. Select the Quick Repair option and click Repair.
5. Once the repair is complete, your icons should appear under the Start Menu.
Q: My files are not syncing, how can I fix it?
A: This is a known issue with Microsoft that has multiple resolutions:
(1) Check this KB from Microsoft (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2933738) for known restrictions and limitations.
(2) Restart the OneDrive desktop sync app.
(3) Rename the file or folder.
(4) Move the file out of the folder temporarily, let OneDrive sync and move the file back in the folder.
(5) Make sure the file path isn't too long. The entire path, including the file name, must contain fewer than 255 characters.
If you still have issues after trying all these methods, please contact the Service Desk.
Q: Where can I learn more about OneDrive for Business?
A: Please see the following pages: